Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stock Seats
I have 2 stock seats that I won't be needing.  Anybody interested, please leave a reply.
One is in really good condition, just doesn't have the Yamaha logo on the back.
The other has a spot on the rear where the vinyl became brittle and turned into a hole.  I'll post pictures when I get the time, but certainly if anybody shows interest.
My Bikes: SRV250, Ninja 250R
Are they both from a Classic or a Renaissa?
I'm after one or two for my classic.
I'll have to look at the parts catalogue and see how they are constructed but my plan is to keep my perfect seat and re-cut the foam only on one to make a cafè racer style and re-cut another to a single seat with a carry plate behind it l can strap a small bag to.
What country are you in?
I have a permanent contact in Tokyo who can ship to me and my Japanese partner will be in Osaka in January and can bring them back on the plane believe it or not.
Both the seats are from the original SRV250 and will fit the bike that you posted on the Facebook group. I'll get some pics up on Monday. I can ship them to your partner in Osaka, friend in Tokyo or directly to you in Australia. (I'm down in the south, in Kyushu.)

If you are going to cut them up anyway, you can probably find some old beat-up seats on Yahoo auctions at a good price.
Alright, so I finally got around to getting some pictures of my seats.  I'll call them seat 1 and seat 2.

(Click the pics to see larger images.)

Seat 1 has a hole in the rear right, as you can see in the picture.  It came with the bike and was caused by the upholstery hardening due to sitting unused.  I have since treated the seat with armor all and it has softened enough that I'm not worried about the cracks spreading.  It would be a good base for a project seat since the foam is still nice and stiff and has maintained its original shape.

I'll discuss seat 2 in the next post.

Here are the pics of Seat 1:

Seat 2.

This one I ordered off Yahoo Auctions.  I found it for a good price and got it right before I started to rebuild the bike, so I didn't use it for that long.

It's a good original seat in really good shape for the age of the bike. (The silver that you can see on the seats is probably from the shelf that they were sitting on.  I think it should be able to be buffed out.)

Seat 2 Pics:

(Click the thumbnails for larger pics.)
Thanks for the pics.
I actually thought the seat was constructed a bit different. Not having seen one in the flesh for over 20yrs
My bike might be turning up before Christmas if the stars align so l won't commit to anything just yet.
If l feel the base is strong enough for what l want I'll let you know.

FYI l plan to remove the pillion foam, re-cut the vinyl to end 2/3the way back and manufacture a small flat rack which will bolt to the seat base if it's strong enough.
Not for heavy loads, just for small overnight bag and good looks.
I'd also have to cover the exposed seat base with something to tidy it up, maybe 1/2"foam and vinyl like the seat to keep the continuity of the seat look.
I actually thought of all that while l was typing this.
The underlying idea is that l can swap seats from stock to custom back and forth and not bolt anything to the frame.