Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Fork oil capacity
Hi.

First of all I am new here so I would like to say hello to everybody. My story is short. I have yamaha srv 250 for about a year now. I am located in Ireland and I think that nobody have the same bike here so I consider myself as a lucky guy.

Now to the point. I changed fork oil seals today. Everything was good until I checked service manual. It says that i need 367 ml off oil and the level will be 125mm from the top. In my situation the level is around 150mm. My fork spring is also few cm shorter than in manual 394mm. Is it only on my bike like this or somebody had same problem?

Thanks for your help.
Hey Forest,

First of all, welcome to the forums.  They have been offline for a while so they are not very active right now, but I'm working on getting more members and it's good to see some activity.

Now, as for your fork oil, the manual says the level should be "125mm from top of inner fork tube fully compressed without the spring."  So your spring length shouldn't be impacting the oil level.  You should be measuring it without the spring in the tube. (See attached pdf)
.pdf   Front_fork_asembly.pdf (Size: 58.04 KB / Downloads: 10)

As for spring length it says, "Fork spring free length is at limit 394mm" so a bit shorter should not be a problem. (Being too long is a problem.)

Now, to be honest, I didn't do my front forks myself so I don't have direct experience with this installation.

Hope this helps and if anybody else out there has any more insight into this, please let us know.

Look forward to hearing how it turns out for you.
My Bikes: SRV250, Ninja 250R

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front Fork DIY Links / フロントフォークのDIY Chief_Mechanic 0 5,991 12-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Chief_Mechanic