Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
My Bobber Rebuild Thread
Finally fired up my SRV.  Sure took me long enough!!  Still a lot to do to get it on the road, but it was good to know that she still runs.

My Bikes: SRV250, Ninja 250R
Got a bit of work done today.  I've been trying to get the paint off the switch assemblies so that I can put a clean coat of flat black on them but it's been a pain.  So I rigged up a grinding wheel and buffed most of it off.  When the weather clears up a little, I'll give them a coat of primer and a couple coats of flat black.

I discovered a couple things in the process.  First is that the lens in the master cylinder is leaking and the screws holding the top on have frozen so hard they stripped right out. Fine.  Time for a new master cylinder.  I don't want to screw around with this one anymore.  I found a nice looking round one from Nissin that someone else installed on their SRV so I'll get that with a slightly longer than stock braided brake line.

I will also be ordering new wheel bearings.  I've decided to do the reinstall myself.

I'm hoping to get a bunch done this spring break, so check back soon!!
Finally got some parts together.

I'm working on the front end, so I finally got the switch assemblies all painted and put together.  It seems at this point that the accelerator cables will be long enough, but I've bought a longer clutch cable

and front brake line.

Also got that new master cylinder.

I've also decided to replace the wheel bearings and oil seals front and back, so went ahead and ordered them.

Last but not least, it seems that I had a cracked washer on the fuel cock on the tank and that was causing a very slow leak.  Decided to replace them both.

Now all I need is the time to get this stuff installed.  I still need to get the right jets for the carbs since I'll be running shorter pipes and I've got the pod filters on it now.  We'll see.  At this point I just want to get it put back together and road worthy.  I can worry about the small stuff from there.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Started with my Quarantine wrenching today.
I pulled the carb drain plugs out to see what they looked like (It was the first time I'd done that.)  Holy shit, I can't believe the bike still ran.  They looked like they had started to rust on the ends so I cleaned them off as good as I could and put them back in.  I was hoping to get the tank back on and fire it up again, but that will have to wait till tomorrow.  Definitely need to open up the carb and see what's going on in there.

Put the bike up on a rear stand and jacked up the front.  Took off the front wheel.  (Then ran out of day light.)
Looking forward to getting the new wheel bearings in.  That way once I get the engine to run, I can take it on short rides around the neighborhood while putting the final touches on it.

Need to build a plate stay, crop the rear frame, buy and install smaller turn signals and find and install the tires I ultimately want to run with.

Little by little...
Alright, for the last 2 days of Quarantine/Golden-Week I've put in over 16 hours on the bike.

Installed wheel bearings & oil seals, painted the wheels, wired up the digital meter (see the Acewell Meter install post), adjusted needles (still needs work), reinstalled carb, installed seat, bobbed the frame, and lowered the headlight.

Here, just check out the pics:
[Image: Bobbed.4-scaled.jpg][Image: Bobbed.3-scaled.jpg]
[Image: Bobbed.2-scaled.jpg][Image: Bobbed.1-scaled.jpg]
[Image: Lowered_Headlight-scaled.jpg]
(To see original size pics, right click and choose 'view image')

Now I need to install turn signals, mirrors and some kind of license plate bracket. I also need to continue working on the Air-Fuel mixture. Probably have to jump up a size or two in jets.
And five-and-a-half years later....
[Image: befafter]
Holy shit, I can't believe it took me so long.  Now that I'm basically finished it seems like just a few months of good hard work would have done the job.

Anyway,  the bike is now road-ready. I need to go and renew the mandatory insurance (jibai-seki) and then add it to my auto insurance to make sure I'm well covered and then I'll be able to ride it whenever the planets align and I'm allowed to cruise.

The last two days were spent fabricating silencers for the exhaust and brackets for the number plate, tail light and turn signals.  Check out the post on how to build silencers to see the specifics on that.  The bike ran 100% better after putting those in as they provided the required back pressure to balance out the air-fuel ratio. I've still got some fine tuning to do and probably need to sync the carbs, but so far it's running pretty good and fires right up.

I'll need to do some touch up on the paint here and there and also fab the side covers to hide the battery box.  I've also got a carbon fiber rear fender for an fz1 (I think) that I'm going to mod and install.  Those final touches can come little by little as with most other bike modifications. (Like a better tail light, higher quality turn signals, better mirrors, stiffer front end suspension, ...)

Check out the pics: (Remember, right click and choose "view picture" to see them in full

[Image: complete_1-2][Image: complete_2]

[Image: complete_3][Image: complete_5]

[Image: complete_4][Image: complete_6]
Hate to revive a dead thread, but I dont feel too bad considering it was active so long.

I'm trying to revert a café-racer SRV250 back to a more standard handlebar but cannot for the life of me find a set of stock handlebar mounts or a newer set with a bolt size/pattern that fits the stock triple tree. It looks like your bobber handlebar mount is aftermarket. Mind if I ask for your source?
(02-14-2021, 12:29 PM)martenson09 Wrote: Hate to revive a dead thread, but I dont feel too bad considering it was active so long.

I'm trying to revert a café-racer SRV250 back to a more standard handlebar but cannot for the life of me find a set of stock handlebar mounts or a newer set with a bolt size/pattern that fits the stock triple tree. It looks like your bobber handlebar mount is aftermarket. Mind if I ask for your source?

Hey Marten,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I seemed to have missed the notification email.

Anyway, the bar mount is all stock.  All I did was paint it and replace the bolts.  I will take a look around and see if I can find any ideas for replacements.
My other option is to forego the original style and simply buy some higher clip-ons. Something about having handlebars below the tank is unsettling.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jetting Discussion Thread Chief_Mechanic 3 10,351 05-05-2020, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Chief_Mechanic
Wink Australian SRV Rebuild #2 Chief_Mechanic 2 7,487 11-22-2016, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Chief_Mechanic