Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
My Bobber Rebuild Thread
Very tricky to remove a seized screw on the switchgear because of the fragility of the component and the fact that the handlebars are free to move so it's hard to get something solid to push against. I would get somebody to assist you if possible just to hold against the handlebars will you push against the screw.

If you have a suitable punch give the head of the screw a couple of solid taps to maybe jar the threads loose then get your best fitting screwdriver and lean right into it as you try to remove the screw. If you still can't budge it you may need to get an impact driver, just a hand one would do like this one:-

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attachment...1333215003
Finally got the swing arm primed on Sunday.  I'm telling you, we have had the worst weather I can remember in the over 20 years I've been here!! Angry

I used paint stripper to clean off the old paint then a wire wheel on a hand drill to remove any rust.  It looked really good.  Then family shit intervened and I wasn't able to work on it for another 2 weeks, and with all the rain we've been having that meant it was nice and rusty again.

So I took some #320 and #600 sandpaper to it and made sure I had it all nice and shiny this last Sunday before I hit it with the primer that I have been dying to try out. (Of course I forgot to take pictures first, it was cloudy and I was worried about the rain starting up again.)

I didn't have much confidence in my ability to rattle-can it, but it actually came out looking pretty nice.  I put 2 coats on it and will probably hit it with another before I do the paint.  I've been having trouble finding rattle can paint here.  I want to do just a matte black - I'm shooting for a no muss, no fuss kind of dark image.

Next up, I need to do the tank, various engine parts and the frame.  It would be nice if I could get that far before the end of the year, so I can spend the winter months putting it all back together.  I envy the hell out of people with garages big enough to work in.

One thing I learned - make the time to do it all in one day - strip it, sand it and prime it - so you don't have to deal with the rust that grows faster than my grass here.
Got a bit more done today.

Sanded the front forks and gave them a coating of primer.

I can see why rattle can is such a pain in the arse.  When you get down to about 1/3 left in the can it starts to spatter.  I'm definitely going to have to give both forks a light sand and another coat.
Finally found some paint that looks like it should do the job.  I had to order it online, since you can't get much around here.

I went with Daytona paints, even though they are a bit more expensive, because they had the most positive reviews.
I also had ¥11,000 yen in points saved up so cut the cost by more than half by ordering from Rakuten.

I ordered 3 cans of primer {Daytona X04 Surfacer} and 4 cans of  matte black {Daytona 72712 } for the frame, forks, swingarm, and tank.
Then I got a black high heat engine paint {Daytona 75611} as well.

Might not be popular, but I'm going to go with a majority matte black with just some parts of the engine shined up.
I plan on leaving the Yamaha emblems on the tank, as well as the chrome cap.  My rear shocks are also chrome.
I'd like black rims with chrome spokes, but we'll have to see what I can work out.

I'd also like a nice set of straight chrome pipes on it as well, but still haven't figured out how I'm going to go about that yet.
Got a bunch of work done on my SRV over the last couple of weekends.

Finally got the tank all sanded, prepped, masked and painted with the first coat of pre-surfacer. (Can you spot the bondo?)

I hit the frame with the first round of paint remover. (Tried to find someplace to sand blast it, but they want about $500 and an unspecified amount of time. I'd rather do it myself for that price.)  There's a bit of rust and what-not that is going to take me some time to get cleaned up, but I'll get to it little by little.

I cut the two footrest brackets (or what-ever you call those damn things.)  There will be no need for an exhaust mount that high up and no place for a passenger seat, so I just trimmed them at the dip that's already in the metal then round them off a little.  Once they are painted they should look like they were manufactured that way.

And I also finally got the engine cleaned enough to mask up and paint.  Just first impressions of the first coat, but I think it looks pretty good.

I have made quite a bit of progress on this project (finally!!) but just haven't been posting in the forum.

I got the frame and tank painted, plus all the extra parts I thought could use some paint.  I had to buy more paint and primer, since I put quite a few layers on it.  The frame came out really well, with the paint setting really nicely.  The front forks seem okay, but since I used a cheap primer on them instead of the sub-surfacer, I'm a bit worried about how hard the paint set.  It seems a bit easier to chip.

The tank also finishes quite rough compared to the frame.  I'm not sure why, but we'll just let it go and see what it looks like when I get it on the bike.  I put the last coat of paint on it today and since I don't have a booth, it came out looking pretty rough.  I'm not shooting for perfection though - hell, you can still tell where I put the bondo!!

I also decided to cut the 3 brackets for the chain guard off the swing-arm today.  Should have done it before I painted it, but oh well.  I think it came out pretty good.  I ground the welds off so you have to know where they were in order to notice.

I also put all the nuts and bolts in some pipe cleaner called Sanpol.  It eats the rust right off.  I put the exhaust joint in as well, since it was so rusted.

And to finish off all the work, I cut the loop off the exhaust assembly.  I'll rig it up so it comes to the right of the bike and have dual straight pipes once I find the best slip-ons.

My Bikes: SRV250, Ninja 250R
Finally started the assembly process.  I installed the front forks and put the swingarm on as a trial.  Now that I have the frame basically ready, I want to get the engine back in it and start getting it set up.

If you click the thumbnail you can see a larger pic. You'll notice that the wheels are still poorly painted and rusty. I'll probable work on getting them in better shape, but wish I could afford some nice new replacements.
Gradually making progress on this rebuild, just don't have much time to update this thread. (Every time I log in I have to spend 20 minutes blocking spammers trying to make accounts! It's getting pretty lame.)  I have been periodically posting on the Facebook group though.

Anyway, I finally figured out what I want to do with the intake.  I went with dual K&N pod filters.  It took me a while to find the right size, but I now have them installed so I wanted to put that model number up here for reference.

Model Number RC-1822 and I paid ¥12,000 for the set.  The flange inner diameter is 51mm (the carb intakes are 49mm) so I was worried that they were a bit big, but after installation, I think they seated quite well.  We'll know when I fire up the engine after getting the wiring harness and electricals all sorted.  I was happy that they didn't touch each other as I was worried about damage from friction/vibration.  They also leave plenty of room under the tank for me to fit all the electrical connections that we

Of course after I bought those, I found Daytona Filters with an inner flange diameter of 49mm at half the price! Although I haven't looked up the outside diameter of the pods, I think they'd fit without problem.

The best exhaust I could find is a pair of Shotgun Mufflers from K&W Buhinya.    
They are designed for the Virago 250, but as it is the same engine, they should fit.  I'm pretty sure that they are the same pipes as on this bike.

Next, I need to find the right kit to re-jet so it can handle all that air flow.  There are a few blogs in Japanese that I have been reading that have advice on rejetting.  Once I get it sorted, I'll try to write a post about it.

It feels good to be making progress and I really can't wait to get the electricals all sorted so I can fire it up.  I finally got the tank cleaned and prepped and ordered some new bars - so it is just a matter of time now. (And weather - it was too cold to be out there today.  Thus, this post.)
Wow nice build. Wonder how it is now? Have you completed?

Also what size rear tyre are you planning to run? Still use stock sizing or going for something wider?
(09-02-2019, 02:57 PM)yantao92 Wrote: Wow nice build. Wonder how it is now? Have you completed?

Also what size rear tyre are you planning to run? Still use stock sizing or going for something wider?

Yeah, thanks for the post!! This build is stretching into eternity as I get busier with family and work.

At this point, I've completed the battery and electronics box that will fit under the seat and am trying various ways of mounting the headlight and gauge.

I need to redo the headlight mount as it's going to bounce around too much and I also still have to wire the gauge up.  I also need to get the fuel lines reinstalled and get the tank back on.

The exhaust pipes didn't work out in the end, just something slightly different in the bend from the Virago or something.

I also found that my front wheel bearings need to be replaced, so right now I'm looking into just getting new front and rear wheels.  Then I'll figure out what size tire I can use.  I wanna go as fat as I can on the rear, and maybe the front as well.  I'm not building her for speed, I'm building her for looks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jetting Discussion Thread Chief_Mechanic 3 10,398 05-05-2020, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Chief_Mechanic
Wink Australian SRV Rebuild #2 Chief_Mechanic 2 7,530 11-22-2016, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Chief_Mechanic